Friday, January 25, 2008

Little Children

I spend very little time taking photo's in any given week. Maybe just minutes. But my camera is with me all the time, and I'm always looking and being observant of what's around me. What is happening in nature? What kind of world are we creating? Where is God apparent? I'm always scanning and thinking about these images that confront all of us on a daily basis. Even if I don't take that moment to take a shot, I've been seeing through the eye of a camera. It's my way of living creatively.

It's also my way of living within the image of God. God is Creator, we are God's co-creators. Having an eye, ear or heart open to something creative in each moment is a means of living as an image-bearer of God.

In Walking on Water, Madeleine L'Engle referred to a study about creativity. 90% of all five year old kids score as being highly creative. By age seven that number drops to 10%, and 2% of adults score as being highly creative. Interesting. We're all born with it, or at least 90% of us are. Somehow, through criticism - "Flowers are not blue, Johnnie" - or innuendo creativity gets buried and covered over.

Becoming childlike, as Christ calls us, means reclaiming that sense of creative wonder we all are given. Each moment, is an opportunity for creativity. It doesn't mean getting a job in the field of art, but art can become a part of all of us in and through all we do. It's just finding what works for each one of us....cooking a creative meal, artistically arranging a room, coming up with a new idea.

The options and opportunities are all around us.

As is God.

No comments: