Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fighting the Bear

Between work, family and a never ending home project, last week was full. Yet, I still engaged something close to my heart. Bear Mountain owns a huge expanse of land in Langford. Virtually all of the land up thar yonder hill is filled with all things new and luxurious to the expense of flora and fauna. I had to see first hand and did some exploring a while back. Some of the pics in previous entries give an exceedingly small glimpse of land takeover at its finest. I was lucky, I guess. I heard that the security routinely patrols, on the make for folks like me. Had they seen me, I'm sure they would have wondered what I was doing as I hithered myself here and there with my camera. No, they would not have wondered. They would have just done their job.

That's Langford. They have zoned for the likes of BM. Fine. Yet, the Bear wants more.

Bear Mountain owns considerable acreage just over the border and into the Highlands. So far, they have been given approval for a wilderness golf course and a certain amount of housing. Not enough, apparently, because they have been pushing to change the urban containment boundary beyond Langford into the Highlands. This change will allow them greater opportunity to develop their land within the Highlands. More homes, less trees and all the problems that will create.

There was a public hearing last week offering folks the opportunity to speak their minds about the new expansion. I had the opportunity to voice my thoughts. (Actually, I voiced many thoughts since my speech included about 15 people's opinions.) All went well, I believe. At the regional level, it almost certainly will be defeated. Yet, BM will take this to the provincial level where they will have more sway. Their lawyers will kick in at this point and the province is more open to big business like BM. It's a wait and see at this point.

It's hard not to take their fundamentalist approach to development personally. It hurts. And a lot. It seems that there is so little that can be done. What is done, is usually reactionary. They do something over-the-top, and a group steps forward to stop it. Good, but how do you proactively stop a beast like the Bear and its advance? Even more, so much of it is driven by hunger for more money. How do you stop greed?

It's interesting to ponder. Is there a way to engage and stop a group like the Bear before it advances? Is it possible to change hearts?

I'm a Christian and not environmentalist. (That's my wife speaking, and I like it.) So, I'm compelled to be involved in this type of thing. I believe we are each called to rule this land. Rule is a neutral term and can be good, bad or neutral (meaning nothing is done). It's all what you do with it. How are we doing as earth-keepers? Tending this garden called earth means we each think about our impact and the promotion of care for all that God has made.

It also means stopping uncare, doesn't it? If we see an abuse to a human or a dog, we would act.

Is mass development an act of uncaring that we need to stop? Is it possible that land destruction today is a little like the many abuses to humanity that have occured over history? Looking back, over and over there have been harms done to people groups that were barely realized until well after the fact. There may have been a few key people who attempted change. Yet, by and large greater humanity slept until years or centuries later when people finally said, "Oh, how could that have happened?"

Trees aren't people, granted. Yet, for those of us with the title Christian, we believe that all things created are God's. We therefore can't sit.

I'm not sure if fighting BM is worth it or the thing to do. Certainly, earth-keeping goes well beyond this or any kind of fight. Yet, it's a piece. Somehow, we need to stand up to greed and destruction. Christians can't just leave it to people with the title environmentalist, and, as if was just a lengthy four-letter word, make fun of them.

What's done is done on Bear Mountain, Langford. Yet, the Highlands?

So, I will fight. I will do so since the Highlands is not just my home but was created by our greater region as a place to be kept green for all of Victoria.

The following is not my shot - I don't own a helicopter. This is an aerial of BM. Green space to the north is highlands and the proposed encroachment of urban zoning.

3 comments:

Daryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daryl said...

Hey Rob,
I'm glad to see you're really taking a stand for these important issues. You touched on something in this post that I've been thinking about lately actually. The idea is the one of changing hearts. I think we often view issues like this as a battle against an enemy; that enemy being other people who seek to do something we believe is wrong. So we try desperately to stop them from doing so. Often times in issues like this particular one, we try to use politics and laws to stop them from doing what they want. Which may work, but as you said, they'll keep coming back, and try some other way (ie. through higher up levels of government) to achieve their goals. But what if, rather than trying to just stop them from being able to do so, we work to change their hearts so they no longer want to do it? Instead of fighting them like they are our enemies, holding them at bay for as long as our strength can manage, we attempt to bring them closer, bring them to our side. Rather than fight the purveyors of evil, we fight the evil itself. I don't think we'll win this fight unless we can change the hearts of our enemies. How we do this? Well that's a whole other issue...

Rob Jirucha said...

Ah, yes. That is the whole issue isn't it? It's hard to know. So, often these (and down to the smallest) things become issues of right and wrong. My side is right and yours is wrong. That's the tough part. We never win. Mostly, we lose as we escalate or become more firmly grounded in our "rightness".

Even the idea of changing hearts assumes that we/our side is right. My guess is that Al Quada thinks they are right. They wouldn't be so vigilant if they thought they were wrong. Right vs. wrong has been the source of denomination after denomination. It's the stuff of wars, often.

Something I like to think about is this. Even If I know I am right, my goal is to get someone else to move about 2 degrees. Most people can make small shifts. For example, if someone has no clue about earth-stewardship, just getting them to recycle is a first step. Yet, to have them see the entire big picture, is out of the question right now.

The Bear might be 180 degrees from where I am (and maybe others). Yet, maybe the goal is to help them move just a wee bit in another direction.

I think God does that with us. There is stuff where I am so far from Jesus, yet he works with me a degree or two at a time.