Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Footprints

It's lent, a time to anticipate the resurrection. This easter day came following death. Between the two, darkness and waiting.

You experience death. Often. Death to something that brought you comfort, a relationship that is no longer the same, your hopes, expectations, something familiar or an importance. And life rarely happens following these little and large deaths. There is always the wait, the unkown darkness before new life comes to you.

In this limbo, there are questions. Why did you have to experience this death? What waits ahead on this new and winding path you now travel? You want life. And now.

But this is a time to draw near to God. In the moment of death there is too much brokeness to cry out. In the newness that will eventually come, there is too much contentment, and God becomes forgotten.

There is only one action. Seek. Not the clarity at the end of the path but the one who guides you on a seemingly unknown way. Just one step at a time.

3 comments:

Daryl said...

Interesting thoughts... slightly cryptic, but interesting nonetheless.
I'm not totally sure what you're getting at when you mention God being forgotten...still, I like the idea of seeking... searching for God, and not worrying about the end. I feel that if we try to see how our lives will end up we become focused on the end and miss the purpose of the journey... we become concerned with how we can affect the future, rather than the present. But if we trust and hold onto God that he will guide us to a joyous end we can focus on the journey at hand... we can enjoy the journey without fear of what may come at its end. We can learn and grow from the experiences and sights of the journey rather than miss them because we're too caught up in where we're going rather than where we are.
Like being on a car trip, we should trust the driver to take us where we need to go and to keep us safe on the journey there.
Well that's my 7/8 of a cent... I may be way off base here...

Cheers,

Daryl

PS. See ya at C&C tomorrow
PPS. I've updated my blog < /shameless plug>

Rob Jirucha said...

I like your thoughts better. Shall I replace your comments with my entry? I just may.

Yes, cryptic in a way. It's written to myself. Thus, the use of "you". So, only I know what's going on, but I thought there may be some universality to it and so put it on the public sphere.

By “forgotten” I simply mean that in the good times, some of us may forget God. Not truly forget, but God can become sidelined in our thoughts when we view life as having arrived. The good is here and now, and I got it together. You know...that old chestnut.

The "deaths" are those immediate and initial blows we experience. Then, too, God is not always leaned upon (for some of us).

It's after the blow to our lives have hit and before we are on the full up and up that I find God very sweet. Less to do with God than me, of course. God is certainly there full circuit.

There's my 1/8 to round things off.

chris said...

Rob - I really like the combination of your words (a little unsettled) and your picture (clearly moving along in the journey).
This would be a cool thing to share at Sorrow to Glory too...
Christine